Friday, April 07, 2006

Single - by Amanda Knight

When I was a child, my favourite movie was Cinderella. I dreamed of wearing the beautiful gown and being picked up in a gold carriage by Prince Charming. How wonderful to be sought after and valued by a dashing prince!
Today, I still wonder what it might be like to be Cinderella. As many of my friends pair off and walk down the aisle, I wonder when my turn will come. Sometimes I can't help but ask, "Lord, is my carriage coming?"
The Lord faithfully reminds me that His plans are always right on time. My carriage is not late; rather, God has another purpose for this time in my life. Take a peek at Psalm 37:7, "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him."
God's purpose for all His children - married or single - is to wait on Him, cultivate our talents and gifts, and serve others. When we trust His plans, we can enjoy our single years to the fullest and build an intimate relationship with the King of the universe.



God wants to teach us to wait on Him. My mom used to tell me that so much of life is, "Hurry up and wait." I have to wait to finish school. Wait to start my career. Wait to meet my mate. Currently, I have a year left of college, and I'm praying for a new job during this time. It seems as though every time I pray, the Lord says "Be content where you are. Wait on me."
I am content...for a few days, then I begin to doubt. "Wait," the Lord says again. Like me, do you struggle waiting? Do you wonder why our Father doesn't give us things according to our timetable? Truthfully, our heavenly Father doesn't act according to our immediate desires because He's trying to teach us something and because He knows the best time.
Recently, God led me to Psalm 91. The whole chapter tells of the blessings of trusting and waiting on the Lord. The first verse says, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty."
The picture is this: If we're walking with the Lord through prayer, Bible study and fellowship, then we're dwelling in Him. As we spend time with Him, we learn to rest and trust Him. God is using our single years to make us more like Him.



God wants us to explore our talents and gifts. He has given each of us unique abilities, and our single years are a perfect time to explore them. Has God given you a love for cooking, painting or music? Use this time to explore these gifts! Take a cooking class in your area. Learn to make jewellery or paint. Take instrumental or voice lessons. As your talents develop, God can use these things to guide your future and to bless others.
When I was in junior high and high school, I began taking voice and piano lessons and competed in speech meets. At the time, these things were just hobbies. However, God had more in mind, and I'm now majoring in music and communications in college.



God wants you to use our time serving others. The ultimate purpose for exploring our gifts and talents is to serve others. Check out Romans 12:6, "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us."
Our single years are an unparaleled time to spend serving others. For many of us, we have fewer commitments now than we'll have for the rest of our lives. Go on a mission trip. Serve the elderly. Work with young children. The possibilties for service are endless.
God wants to use you. He has someone He wants you to bless in His name, so begin praying about where God can use you. He wants to use you in unexpected ways.
God doesn't give us single years so we can pass the time dreaming about Prince Charming. He gives us this special time so we can learn to be satisfied in the King of Kings. As we grow to know Him more, He molds us into beautiful children of his grace. Enjoy this time.
My dad once said, "God wants to bless you more than you could ever want to be blessed." Don't sit around waiting for your carriage. Be adventurous, have fun and use this time to reach your full potential in Christ.

2 Comments:

At April 07, 2006 10:22 am , Blogger MissHarwood said...

I thought this would help many people as I know it helped me.
xx

 
At April 08, 2006 9:25 pm , Blogger RandomQueen said...

before i read this i had been thinking about just giving up wanting a bofriend as i knew it wasnt doing me any good pondering over it.
so reading this just showed me i was 'sposed to stop thinking about it and get on with my life and get on with my life in God.
so thank you so much for posting this and making me know for sure its what im not suposed to be bothered about any more.

love niki xxxx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home