Monday, December 26, 2005

Just Between Us

OK, OK. I've heard it in Sunday school and in youth group: My friends who don't know Christ are going to hell. I've been hearing that for years. But is hell really that bad?

Good Question. What do you think?

Well...I'll just tell you what I've heard, OK?

OK

I've heard some people say that hell will be whatever makes you the most miserable.

Hmmm. So if doing homework really ticks you off, hell will be eternal homework?

Yeah, I guess.

That's punishment all right, but do you really think someone like, oh, I don't know, let's say Hitler - who was responsible for millions of deaths and human torture - will be sitting aroundfor eternity writing book reports?

When you put it that way, it sounds kinda lame.

Yeah, and hell is not lame. It's beyond our imagination, It's a place we wanna make sure we stay away from.

Well, I've also heard that someday Jesus will take all the christians to heaven, and everyone else will be left here on Earthand that will be hell because there will be no love or kindness.

Yeah, that'd be pretty bad. But hell is more than simply a void of love and kindness.

So...just how bad is it?

The only way we can answer those questions is to take a peek at what Jesus said about hell. He gives a pretty graphic description. In fact, every time He mentions hell, He describes it as eternal seperation from Him and a place of great torment and agony. He tells us it's an actual place.

Yuck.

Yeah, double yuck. Grab your bible. Ok? Tell me what you think of this picture of hell:
There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried.
In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham dar away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, "Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire."
But Abraham replied, "Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us."
He answered, "Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment."
Abraham replied, "They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them."
"No, father Abraham," he said, "but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent."
He said to him, "If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead" (Luke 16:19-31)

Pretty plain, huh?

Yeah, I don't like that.

Good. You shouldn't like it. Hell is not going to be a big party.

But I hear my non-Christian friends joke and say they're going to hell together. They laugh about all the stuff they're gonna do with no one to stop them.

The truth is, it will be tremendously painful to burn forever in flames of fire that can't be extinguished and to never have relief - it's not going to be fun and games!

Wow. That sounds so strong.

Yeah, it does. But every single time Jesus talks about hell, He uses strong language to describe it.

Guess that's because He wants to make sure we stay away from it,huh?

Yep.

So if hell is so bad, and if God loves us so much, why would He send any of us to spend forever in such a horrific place?

He doesn't.

What?

God doesn't send anyone to hell. Anyone who goes to hell goes on his or her own accord.

I'm not following you.

God could force you to follow Him. He could make you repent of your sins and ask Him to be your Lord. But if you did that, you wouldn't have free will.

Right. I'd be a puppet manipulated by a controlling God.

Exactly, God doesn't work that way. He loves you so much that He gives you free will. He allows you to make your own decision as to whether you'll follow Him.

And if I choose to follow Christ, repent of my sins and commit my life to Him, I'll spend eternity in heaven with God!

Right. But those who refuse to follow Christ are choosing to spend eternity in hell. The Bible is very ckear that there's only one way to heaven - and that's through a relationship with Jesus Christ. (See John 14:6) And He wants so badly for you to spend forever with Him that He even paid the death penalty for your sins.

Hearing it put so simply, it sounds more than fair.

It is! God didn't have to send His only Son to die for our sins, but He did simply because He loves us and wants us in heaven with Him.

OK. I get that part. But there's something else bugging me. I hear the word hell a lot. I mean, students at school toss it around so casually. Is that right?

Nope. They're using it as a cuss word. They've reduced an actual place to a mere slang term. And you're right, it's a word we hear often - on TV, in the hallways, at work - but again, remember the truth: Hell is not simply an expression people use when they're angry; it's an actual place where people who don't know Christ will spend eternity.

Whew! That's heavy-duty.

Yeah. Hell if heavy. It's not a laughing matter. Know what else is heavy?

What?

Millions around ud are spiritually dead. They're searching for answers, for truth and for peace. We have the answers. We know the Truth when we know Christ. They're headed for hell, and it's up to us to point them in the right direction.

I usually don't think about it that seriously. I mean, I know students in my school who aren't Christians, but it's usually pretty easy to just shrug it off. After all, if they wanna party and mess around, I can't stop 'em.

Yeah, but see, the reason they're partying and messing around is because they're seriously searching for some answers, for peace, for joy.

Think they even realise they're searching for something?

Probably not. But it's obvious, isn't it?

Yep.

And the heavy part is, we have the answers. We can make a positive difference in their lives. We can help point them in the right direction!

Yeah, I want to; I'm just scared. (But don't tell anyone I said that!)

Hey, this is just between you and me, OK?

OK. Good.

It's OK to be scared.

It is?

Sure! That's normal.

Whew! Feels good to be normal.

Probably everyone's a little nervous when it comes to talking about their faith because a relationship with Christ is a personal thing. It's important to us. Sometimes it's kind of hard to put into words.

Yeah! That's exactly how I feel. And besides, I never know what to say.

You're on the right track.

Huh?

You've got a Bible - right?

Yeah, but...

The more you study the life of Christ and apply his words to your life, the easier it will become to share your beliefs with others.

Hmmm.

Ket's take it a step further. How many of your friends know you love chocolate?

All of 'em!

And Third Day?

Are you kidding? Practically the whole world knows I'm their greatest fan.

And how do your friends know?

I've told them.

Get it? The more you fall in love with Jesus, the more you'll want to tell others about Him.

I think I understand.

I think you're gonna like this journey.

I think I am too.

4 Comments:

At December 27, 2005 1:17 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Jesus will take all the christians to heaven, and everyone else will be left here on Earthand that will be hell because there will be no love or kindness." - is this saying there will be no love and kindness because the christians are gone? because earth has people who give love and kindness who are not christian.

 
At December 29, 2005 10:56 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If hell is a place with no Christian impact, isn't it like the world in general? Christians cannot stop terrorism, wars, natural disasters, and these all happen when God is supposed to be protecting us all anyway...
Please write back below

 
At January 01, 2006 12:56 pm , Blogger MissHarwood said...

But the world does have Christian impact.

 
At January 01, 2006 7:43 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, in some way i kinda agree with 'gumchewer' their are a lotta great christians about but the world is full of ppl who think they are christian but dont know the meaning of the wrd, they are just hypocrits scared of facing up to the fact that they might not have soemthing to fall back on

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home